SDR-Radio.com V2.0 Now Supports RTL2832U SDR
Simon, creator of the very popular SDR-Radio.com has recently released a newly designed version 2.0 of SDR-Radio.com. The software has pretty much redesigned from the ground up. The big news for RTL2832U SDR users, is that Simon has added support for these devices via TCP. So, if you would like to try a different SDR software package with your RLT2832U dongle, take a look at the 2.0 version of SDR-Radio.com. The software offers some very nice features like a frequency manager, sharing your SDR over a network, and a nice user interface. Right now the software can be downloaded as a technology preview from the SDR-Radio.com preview at SDR-radio.com 2.0. Simon is gradually adding new features and fixing bugs right now with SDR-Radio.com since it is mostly beta at this time. With that being said, the software seemed to work pretty well using the RTL2832U DBT stick as a software defined radio. Right now, the setup is a little different than you might be used to since SDR-Radio.com uses TCP to communicate with the RTL2832U stick. Here is a brief overview of what you need to do to get SDR-Radio.com working with a RTL2832U stick.
- Download the technology preview of SDR-Radio.com
- Download and install the latest Zadig USB drivers for you RTL2832U stick.
- Download RelWithDebInfo.zip and extract the files to your desktop. Within the rtl-sdr-rlease folder, you will see two subfolders x32 and x64. Open the folder that matches your Windows version you are using ,Win32 or Win64 bit. You will see a file named rtl_tcp.exe, that is the file you are going to need to run under a Command Prompt Window.
- Open a Command Prompt (DOS Window) and use CD to navigate to the rtl-sdr-release/x32 (or x64 depending on your OS) folder. For example depending on your machine it might be something like cd Desktop/rtl-sdr-release/x32 and then type rtl_tcp at the prompt. If you have installed the Zadig drivers correctly, you should see the TCP server startup.
- With the TCP server running, you will need to start SDR-Radio.com.
- With SDR-Radio.com running you will need to select the Radio menu and add a new radio.
- Be sure to pick RTL TCP as the radio type, you can then Add a new radio. If you use the Search feature SDR-Radio.com should see your running instance of the rtl_tcp server. Be sure to tell SDR-Radio.com what type of chipset you are using, by selecting the appropriate button listed in the form. This will setup the proper gain table for use in SDR-Radio.com Gain setting menu.
- You now should be able to Start your RTL2832U. The audio may stutter a couple of seconds until the TCP stream settles down.
- You may want to click the button that allows you set the PPM settings to calibrate the tuning frequency to be more accurate with your particular RTL2832U device.
Again V2.0 of SDR-Radio.com is still in preview form, you can submit bug / issue reports to the SDR-Radio.com Yahoo Group. Give SDR-Radio.com a try with your RTL2832U dongle and see how you like it. Be sure to check out the SDR-Radio.com setup and demo video below!
SDR-Radio.com Setup and Demo Video